Part of pet-proofing your home is to make sure you
have no plants in a position where your dog can chew on the leaves or stems. The following
are some of the plants you should be aware of that can harm your pet:
If you are unsure if there are other outdoor plants
in your area that are hazardous and may not be listed here, ask your veterinarian for a
YOUR HOME - PROTECTING YOUR PUPPY
Puppies are much like babies in many ways. They teethe and they're also very curious. The
following are a few suggestions for protecting your pup.
Unplug, remove, or cover any electrical cords in your puppy's confinement area. If he
chews live wires he can receive severe mouth burns, electrocution, or cause fires.
Among common household items that can be poisonous to your puppy and should be kept out of
Bleach, household detergent, disinfectant, insecticides, cleaning fluid, fertilizer,
antifreeze, and mothballs.
Check the placement of any houseplants listed above to be certain they are out of
temptation's way, and be certain that he cannot get to any harmful plants in his exercise
Don't leave nails, staples, straight pins, needles, hair pins, aluminum can tabs or other
sharp objects where your puppy can chew or swallow them. Small objects on the floor can be
easily gobbled up and swallowed. It is also a good idea to avoid any rubber-type toys with
squeakers or other noise makers inside. Holes can easily be chewed in the toy and ingested
Puppies need to chew and play - just make sure you provide them with things that you want
them to chew on and that are safe play things.
REALLY TOXIC TO PETS?
Yes! Tasty but toxic, chocolate is dangerous to
dogs (and cats) when eaten in large quantities. Always keep chocolate out of the reach of
pets. Also toxic to dogs are grapes and raisins.